Nobody wants to get stuck on the side of the road, no matter where they are and what time of day it is. Every single vehicle should have a portable jump starter in it, one where the driver is not reliant on anyone else for help, and one where the driver can get the car on and moving straight away.
Likewise, nobody ever wants to have a flat tire and not be able to pump it up. This is where a portable tire inflator is a brilliant tool.
Things one should always have in a car
Vehicle owners need a few things in their car, actually. A spare tire, a tire pump, a jack, a jump starter, a flashlight, blanket or something warm, and water. The spare tire always comes with the car, but driver’s should double check they have this, and that the spare tire is in good condition!
Portable jump starters are multi functional
Portable jump starters today are pretty high tech. They will get a dead battery going quickly, but will also provide emergency lighting, a tire inflator, 12 volt outlets, USB chargers and an inverter. The jump starter provides multiple uses, enough to get most drivers out of a sticky situation. A portable jump starter is easy to use, comes with instructions, and is small and compact enough to always stay in a car. It can only be helpful and everyone should have one.
How to know when you need a jumpstart
There are many reasons why a car won’t start but if it is a problem with your battery, the clues are there.
- Battery warning light that has been flashing
- Dim lights.
- No radio
- Electric windows won’t work
- Battery is weak but there are signs of it.
- Totally dead battery
- Clicking sound when you try and turn the ignition on.
There is no harm in trying to use the portable jump starter as it should work fairly quickly. If it does not work at all, you know it is not your battery! And if your lights are on, the radio works, the electric windows work, but the car does not go on, then the problem lies elsewhere and you probably need a mechanic.
Why do batteries go dead
It is unlikely for a car battery to go dead in a new car without any reason. But if you leave your lights on, the battery will die! In a car that is a bit older, the car battery ages, just like a car. It might be that your ageing battery just needs a bit of a jump start.
Today’s jump starters function as compact charging stations for batteries, phones, laptops, and anything else that requires a charge. Keep in mind that this will drain the battery power. Remember to periodically charge your portable jump starter.
Portable jump starters over jumper cables
In the old days, we all used to have jumper cables. These were pretty messy cables that you needed another person with another car to help you with. They work, and there is nothing wrong with them, but it takes two people to get a car going. A portable jump starter needs only the driver to get the car going. Plus, the portable jump starters of today are multi functional. They have flashlights, tire inflators, 12 volt outlets, USB chargers and an inverter. They are brilliant, not only for jump starting your vehicle, but for charging phones and various devices too.
It is important also to note that portable jump starters do not need to be plugged into anything, to work. As long as they charged, and you only need to charge them every once in a while, perhaps every few months, to get loads of use out of them, you use them as is. The portable jump starter provides the amperage that is needed to get the car battery going and to power the entire vehicle’s electrical system.
Using a portable jump starter
Always read the instructions when you buy a portable jump starter and keep the instructions in your cubby hole. Most portable jump starters also have the instructions imprinted on to the box, so you should not have any difficulties. Then of course, make sure that the jump starter is charged. Given you won’t need to jump start your car often, or hopefully you don’t, remember to jump start your battery before a long trip, or every few months. Again, your instructions will tell you how often to charge this.
If you do need to jump start your car, then:-
- Make sure your vehicle is clear and there is nothing in front or behind it.
- Make sure there is no fuel or any flammable liquid in the immediate vicinity.
- Wear protective clothing if you can, and keep your eyes protected.
- Don’t have any dangling jewellery that could get in the way.
- Keep your face away from the battery.
- The charger should be the length of the cables away from the battery.
- Check the voltage of your battery charger.
- The voltage must match the jump starter output voltage.
- A 12 volt supply is the norm.
- Identify the positive and the negative symbols on the car battery.
- Identify the positive and negative symbols on the jump starter
- Note that P, + or POS is positive, N, - or NEG is negative.
- Note that red is positive and black is negative too.
- Do not switch the jump starter on, until you have connected the cables to the car battery.
- Negative and positive clamps should not connect.
- Connect positive to positive and negative to negative.
- Or connect red to red and black to black.
- The black clamp can go to any clean and stationary metal part, either on the engine block or the car frame. Keep it far from the battery or any fuel lines.
- Switch on the portable jump starter.
- Switch on the ignition.
Hopefully the car goes on immediately. If it doesn’t, give it a few minutes and then try again. Once you have the car going, drive it around for a while. When you get home, charge your portable jump starter so it is ready for the next time around!
And while we are talking about practicalities, think about a tire inflator too.You can check the pressure of your tires and if they need a little inflation, you can do it on your own. All you need is a 12 volt power socket in the car. Connect to the inflator to the power socket, and connect the nozzle of the inflator to the tyre valve stem. With the air inflator on, which will send air to the tyre. Keep an eye on the pressure gauge and stop inflating when the pressure is right.
So there you have it. Every car needs a portable jump starter and a tire inflator. Thereafter, you can add blankets, snacks and water!
Lokithor JA301 is a multi-functional product that combine the Jump starter and tire air inflator, CLICK HERE for more detail information.
For further product information, please visit: